Welcome to our crazy life!

10.6.09

FINALLY!

FINALLY Graham has given me the okay to paint our kitchen cabinets! And POSSIBLY go ahead and tear down half the wall between our kitchen and living room!
I wanted to do this when we bought the house but after painting every blame wall, ceiling and door (which we still have 3 doors not painted ;)) we were burnt out on painting. I also, at that time, thought I HAD to paint the inside too..........well I've seen some cabinets not painted inside and it looks fine!
We are on a tight budget, as everyone is. We both agree that we can go without all the extras so that I can stay at home with Addie. Not that we really go without alot, Graham does a GREAT job of giving me and Addie everything we need and most the stuff we want. When we do have extra money we would rather go on a cool trip than do things to our house..........we will probably always be that way. Have a nice house, but have some AWESOME memories from the cool trips we get to take. We have always prided ourselves in everything we do we do ourselves. We didn't have help from our parents when we bought our house, they didn't pay for paint, cabinets (bathroom) or any remodeling items (not that they didn't try, lol). We really like sitting in our home and knowing that it is all ours, we paid and did everything in it. I am very proud of us for this!
Anyways, this is all we want to do in the kitchen:
1. paint cabinets
2. replace all hardware
3. new counter tops
4. new sink
5. knock out half the wall between kitchen and living rooms and put in a bar (I.E. more counter tops)
6. new lighting in that space
7. new bar stools
8. decorative railing for the top of cabinets
9. range hood (it's the only thing that hasn't been replaced in our kitchen, appliance wise)
10. lighting for the top of cabinets.

It really wouldn't be all that expensive to just do it all at once but I'm NOT going into debt to redo a kitchen when we probably will move with-in the next 3-4 years. So I think we are going to start with painting the cabinets, changing the hardware, and taking the top of our cabinets off and making a shelf, which we will do lighting up there too! Then in a couple of months we will do the rest! I am so excited, this is the last thing INSIDE the house we need to do (it will help with resale value too!).
The outside will cost us like $10,000! So we really will have to wait on that, if we even decided to do it????? Here is that list:

1. Knock a door out of the laundry room (there is no exterior door to the back yard, weird huh??)
2. Buy a door for that
3. Poor concrete on the gravel part beside the side of the house (where our camper stays)
4. Carry that concrete around to make a patio OR
build a deck.
5. Put up a fence (Graham only wants to put up a privacy fence?????)
6. landscaping
7. Furniture
8. MOST IMPORTANTLY---get a HOT TUB!!! (Yeah this will NEVER happen, Graham will never go for that!)

Like I said, $10,000 atleast! Even with us doing most of the work! So that will have to wait, we don't normally keep that much money laying around,lol. Actually if we did, we would be taking a trip to Alaska, Italy or SOMEWHERE!
My plan is to let Addie spend the day and night with mom on a Friday night. Thursday I will take everything out of the cabinets, and sand. Then Friday, while Graham is gone, I will get most the painting done ( i could do it alot faster without him telling me how to do things). Then Saturday we will finish up! I'm hoping it goes that fast! Ellie will be gone on vacation the last week of June so I'm shooting for that weekend! I am so excited!! Pics soon!!

0 comments: