Welcome to our crazy life!

4.6.09

House Plans

Can you believe I have posted so much this week?? I'm so proud of myself!
I came across this picture and I am in LOVE! I have been thinking about and looking at designs for a new house lately and I totally have narrowed it down to two type; Victorian or Colonial.
When I was in high school I went on 2 mission trips to Cape May, NJ, it is on my top 5 places to live list. It is beautiful! Imagine hundreds of Victorian Mansions...........right on the beach! Ahhhh.........perfect! There is also alot of history in this small town. There is one house that was actually cut down the middle, moved down the street and put back together, twice! The first time took place in the winter of 1881, and farmers were hired for the job. They moved the house on giant tree logs pulled by mules and horses! http://angelofthesea.com/ here is the website to read all about it. I went with the adults one day to tour this mansion and other things in Cape May (while all the teenagers went to the beach), I know I'm an old soul! Anyways, it is BEAUTIFUL there. I beg Graham every year to take me there. One day I'll just make him!

Here is the picture that has inspired my rambling:

Isn't it just perfect? I love all the different shapes and details! It's just my dream home! I can imagine sitting on the front porch with my sweetie and a glass of sweet tea watching our kidos playing in the yard. I WANT, no scratch that, I NEED that life! You can not appreciate the beauty of a Victorian mansion unless you see one in person. There are so many details, so much time put in, its just amazing. Can you tell I'm in love? I can imagine the inside, dark hardwood panels from the floor more than half way up the wall, where the top makes a shelf to hold pictures. The real hardwood floors that are scratched and dented (love marks are what I call them), I think they are beautiful and add character. I can see a small closet under the stairs that Addie can play hide and seek in. I see a grand dinning room, a formal living room, and a big den/kitchen combo. I would want everything to be in original condition except the kitchen. I would have a magnificent kitchen. I would do it though in a way that it fit. I could go on and on and on about my plans. Poor Graham is going to have to figure out how to pay for it all :)


The other type of home I Love is what I call Colonial, but after looking around it really is more of a Southern style, Plantation even home. Here is a pic of what I like

Yes, this is Noah's house in the movie "The Notebook" , but I have loved this style since I was a small child. There is actually a house like this just over the GA line from St. Elmo. It can only be seen in the winter when the trees are bare but I have dreamed of living in this house since I was little. It's HUGE and has SEVERAL fireplaces, lots of land and is beautiful!

So...................which house do you like better?? (there is a poll to the side)

0 comments: